On September 8, 1949, fifty-eight girls began school at the new Mary Louis Academy Annex in Hempstead. On June 20, 1952, on the feast of the Sacred Heart, Bishop John J. Boardman blessed and laid the cornerstone to complete the new Sacred Heart Academy.
In 1978, ground was broken for the Sister Virginia Crowley Theatre and additional academic space. By 2012, the Joseph House and Corde House Guidance Complex along with Three Sisters Fields became an impressive part of the campus.
Today, Sacred Heart Academy remains a school of excellence for young women with strong academic and leadership potential. In a nurturing, yet challenging faith environment, students and over 12,000 alumnae live out the mission of SHA and the Sisters of St. Joseph rooted in the Gospel of Jesus. In a world in need of nothing less, they bring inclusive love, unity, reconciliation, justice and peace to their professions, families, Church and world.
CSJ Leadership at Sacred Heart Academy
Sister Alta Maria Brock Sister Virginia Crowley
Sister Mary Inviolate Gunn Sister Edyth Fitzsimmons
Sister Mary Alonzo Boyan Sister Jeanne Marie Ross
Sister Mary Basil Butler Sister Joanne Forker
Sister Rose Alonzo McKinney Sister Jean Amore